Monday, February 14, 2011

Spring is near

The days are getting a little warmer. It's 62 outside according to my weather channel app on the computer, though with the wind whipping around out there, it feels like 53, which is what my indoor/outdoor weather station is reporting. On days like this, I keep a close eye on the trees on our property. We have several Virginia pines that are ready to fall. I can't believe with the ice, snow and winds, they haven't already fallen. A few have here and there, but luckily none by the house or animal areas. I have several black walnut trees around the house and animal housing areas that are very old and have dead limbs. Those are the ones I dread the most. Those limbs are heavy. I've had some fall already that have landed on fencing. I have been trying to find someone who will cut them down and remove them. Black walnut is expensive timber. No luck yet with that. I'm half tempted to climb up and cut the limbs down myself. I'll refrain for the time being. With the temps slowly rising, I am anxious to start on my various projects. I have trees to clear, new fencing to install, new housing for the chickens to build, along with chicken runs.
My chickens had started wandering over to the neighbors yard. I have 5 acres for them to wander, and they have to go next door. So, for now, I have a run attached to the front of their house. I may have to invest in the electric poultry fence. It would have been nice if this place was already an established farm when we bought it. It was an old house, but other than the neighbors cows that used to run on the property, I don't believe it housed any farm life. We've been here 3 years and have added housing and fencing as we expanded our farm. It has gone through several changes and adaptations, and this Spring, it will undergo more. I have big plans this year. Relocating all of the chicken houses is one of those. Once I build/rebuild their houses and set up their fencing, I will re-do the pasture fence for the horses/ponies. Several trees are down, more need to come down. I have my work cut out for me just with that. I plan on building a new house for the turkeys and let the goats use the current turkey house.

More to come....spring is near.

No comments: